Skip to main content

Women give family life a thumbs up

In the man’s world, as they call it, it’s a mad race. Once you’re off the bus, it’s tough to get back on it. But unlike her male counterpart, even the most fiercely competitive woman is a mother, a caregiver, first. Driven by this instinct, there are some happy mommies who have said glad goodbyes to full-time jobs so that they could be with their kids.

‘‘I want the best for my son and that includes ‘sanskar’, which only parents can inculcate. Being a perfectionist, I wanted to give 100% to both my family and work. But the two things don’t go together. So, I gave up my career altogether for my top priority, my 12-year-old son,’’ says Dr Anjali Kashyap, a radiologist.

Searching for harmony, MBA Monica Shukla feels, ‘‘Balancing home and work is an art that decides our level of happiness. I think I have achieved it to some extent. The moment I first held my bundle of joy, my motherly instinct told me to give her the best. Thank God for a work-from-home opportunity that came my way. Now, I can take care of both my responsibilities well.’’

Another MBA, Shivani Thakur, who gave up her career after her daughter came along, was recently blessed with twins. Now, there’s no time for anything else. ‘‘Sometimes, I do feel left behind, but my children are my biggest treasure,’’ she smiles. With similar thoughts arising in her mind, Jeevan Jot, a journalist who too left a well-paying job, says, ‘‘You have to be hands-on with kids. There’s little time for anything else. I have a trustworthy domestic help, but I don’t want my son to pick up her habits.’’

Juggling the two worlds is another lady. Though a PhD, when it comes to her sons, Jyoti Singh knows where her heart lies. ‘‘I work, but only part-time. I can’t let my sons suffer because of my ambitions,’’ she says, summing up how she overcame the dilemma that many mothers face.

Now, one can only wonder if fathers could do the best job of the world, without getting a penny or a nod of approval for it, just like the mothers do. Or can we simply say — it’s a woman’s world?
 
 
(I know its pretty late, but I felt like sharing this with u... I wrote this piece on woman's day... and was published in Times of India's Chandigarh edition... here's copy for u all...)

Comments

  1. very well written. you are very good at feature writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Im so glad u liked it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm. Its cool. After reading this i visited ur Profile to know wat u do. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) now u know... Im a journalist... working in media industry just like u

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup. but m just a technician. but still same industry. good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) cool wat dept are u in and which paper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Electronic media not a paper. Not Just news. m in Production. Some times its a reality show. Thik hai kaam chal raha hai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and u r with a paper? right? Gud.
    Write some thing. Not on demand plzzz. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Shot

Meek, timid and lonely soul I, Speck, take the sidewalk in the world of words Boisterous, Gigantic words push and shove me On the road less travelled I bump into a group of meaningless wanderers And turn Spectacular

Missing?

I have been drinking every drop of it Bitter, sweet life makes me yearn for more I am enjoying every sip of it But something is missing Is it you?

Long Night

On an unknown road, in a moonless night I start for home Not sure of reaching my destination As death haunts the place I shudder with fear of unknown But for the light of love I am engulfed in darkness My guiding voice inspires me, Shows me the right way, Makes sure I'm safe And then... It's time to bid good night!